Forman Christian College celebrated its centenary in 1964 with a number of events, including a visit to the FCC campus by the President of Pakistan. (For some first hand accounts, check out http://150.fccollege.edu.pk/remembering-the-100th-anniversary/ and http://150.fccollege.edu.pk/presidents-speech/)
This is the seventh in our series of quizzes, in which we look at some events in our centenary year, both in Pakistan and abroad.
1. The Pakistan Television Corporation was founded in November 1964, with the first TV broadcast made from Lahore. Which city was the second to broadcast television?
2. In June 1964 the anti-apartheid activist Nelson Mandela was sentenced to life imprisonment in South Africa for sabotage and conspiracy to violently overthrow the government. How long did he remain in prison?
Over 26 years
3. In April 1964 the first Pakistani colour film was released. What was its name?
4. In February 1964 the Beatles made their first tour of the USA, starting the phenomenon that came to be known as the British invasion. What percentage of the total US population watched their live performance on TV in the Ed Sullivan Show?
5. In December 1964 the Pakistani cricket team played a test match against Australia at the Melbourne Criket Ground, which resulted in a draw. Who was the only batsman to score a century?
6. The Nobel Peace Prize was announced in October 1964. Who was the recipient?
Dr Martin Luther King
7. 1964 saw the death of Khwaja Nazimuddin, the second Governor General and the second Prime Minister of Pakistan. His unconstitutional removal as the Prime Minsiter started a dangerous trend in Pakistani politics. Who succeeded him as Prime Minister?
Muhammad Ali Bogra
8. In February 1964 the Italian government asked for suggestions to help stop the Leaning Tower of Pisa from toppling over. Many attempts were made to stop the Tower leaning further until there was some success in 2001. UNESCO declared the Leaning Tower of Pisa a world heritage site in which year?
9. In October 1964 the Summer Olympics were held in Tokyo, Japan – the first time in Asia. What medal did Pakistan win in field hockey?
10. In December 1964, the Canadian parliament replaced the Union Jack with a national flag. What were the new colors?
Red and white